Saturday, June 4, 2011

Microwave Potato Chips!!!

So a few days ago I got hit with a wicked craving for potato chips, and had none. I cannot convey to you the disappointing, soul-shattering, "my life just hit rock bottom" feeling a pregnant woman gets when the food that she craves is nowhere to be found. So instead of moping about it, I went to the kitchen and made me some damn tader chips. I was a bit hesitant at first - temperatures have been reaching the 100s lately and I did not want to fire up the oven in the middle of the day. I had myself in a puzzle, then when I turned around it hit me. Microwave! It was worth it if I got my chips and the AC didn't suffer so this is what I did.


Microwave Potato Chips

1 Medium Potato makes about 1 serving
Olive oil (enough just to moisten potatoes)
Seasoning of your choice (I used garlic and onion powder)
Cooking spray


Wash and slice potato into thin slices, almost translucent. Place slices in a bowl and put just enough oil to moisten potatoes. Add spices to taste and toss until potatoes are fully coated. Coat microwaveable plate with cooking spray then arrange slices in one layer (not overlapping) on plate. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, flip chips, then an additional 2 minutes. Watch chips for browning around edges. When chips start to brown, take them off the microwaved plate and place on a cool plate. Chips will harden as they cool. If all chips have not browned, microwave at 2 minute intervals or until they brown. Watch the chips to prevent scorching.


I had pictures, but my phone is a bit cranky at the moment. Perhaps later when it is finished with its bitch fit I can post them too. They were super tasty though, and it interesting what flavors you can get out of them. I also forgot to mention - they are way healthier than their fried cousins. One weird fact about me is that I'm slightly allergic to foods that has been fried. Kinda sucks when you live in the south. An upset stomach is definitely worth a fired Oreo though...dammit, now I want fried Oreo. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment